Hanwha Phasor are developing an airborne (land and maritime sector will follow) Ku band SatCom ESA solution for commercial passenger aircraft. This will have the unique capability to connect to all potential satellite networks. The design must meet the demanding requirements of the commercial airline industry, including safety, reliability and through life cost, in order to be successful.
The candidate will be required to provide technical leadership, vision, direction, and mentoring for a team of multidisciplinary mechanical engineers to deliver a SatCom ESA in accordance with the applicable air-worthiness standard and Hanwha Phasor company process. This role will report to the Head of Mechanical Engineering.
- Responsible for leading the mechanical design and development aspect of the airborne SatCom ESA project, including defining the mechanical architecture and the mechanical requirement flow-down from the system requirements in collaboration with the Project Engineering Director.
- Excellent technical and analytical capabilities in the development of airborne ESA mechanical designs covering functional, thermal, environmental and structural aspects that meet the needs of Hanwha Phasor’s product and technology requirements.
- Responsible for defining, creating and monitoring of the mechanical design work packages and directing the mechanical engineers within the project.
- Organise and manage mechanical design reviews as appropriate with other engineering teams to ensure requirements are captured to ensure right first-time designs.
- Work with Project Manager to develop realisable project plans that will ensure the effective and timely development of ESA mechanical solutions that meet the system requirements.
- Support the wider technical deliverables required for product development, such as lifecycle management, peer reviews, test equipment procurement and lab testing.
- Work with the Head of Mechanical Engineering and other engineering Leads across multiple disciplines to deliver multi-disciplinary product designs and delivery to tight timescales, communicating through plans, presentations and status reports.
- Manage suppliers to deliver subcontracted designs, manufacturing, assembly, analysis and test (in conjunction with the operations team).
- Guide, support and mentor the members of the mechanical engineering team, developing their skills, experience and capabilities in the process.
- Identify and implement continuous improvements associated with the product development lifecycle. Author and maintain processes as required.
- Produce documentation, specifications and reports to an excellent standard to support quality assurance.
Essential qualifications and skills
- A good first or Upper 2nd Class degree (BEng/MEng) in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work-based qualifications.
- 10+ years in mechanical design for electromechanical products.
- Understands DO-160 and its implications for mechanical design.
- Excellent communications skills and able to take responsibility for the mechanical team delivery of projects (to meet quality, cost and timescales).
- Able to “get hands dirty” and learn on areas or skills that might be new.
- Happy being independent in working style and able to go away and solve problems.
- Excellent knowledge of configuration control processes and product lifecycle management
- Product development of RF communications electronics.
- Experience of mechanical integration of equipment onto customer vehicles (Land, Marine and Airborne).
- Experience of customer liaison and support of customer demonstrations/installations.
- Mechanical qualification and certification testing to Land, Marine and Airborne standards.
London Technology Centre:
- Based in modern, open-plan offices in the vibrant area of Hatton Garden, with great views of the City of London from several spacious balconies with outdoor seating.
- Excellent transport connections: Farringdon, City Thameslink and Kings Cross St Pancras overground stations within walking distance; Chancery Lane and Farringdon tube stations within a five-minute walk.
- Showers, cycle racks, lockers and a coffee shop on site. Workspace networking and social events throughout the year.
- With the City, Covent Garden and Embankment close by, there's plenty to do at lunchtimes and after work.
- Leather Lane street food market is right on our doorstep, with the usual chains close by.