The Head of Mechanical Engineering leads the Mechanical Engineering Team in its design and analysis of the mechanical aspect of electronically steered antenna arrays. This role ranges from specifying the antenna mechanical requirements, driving the design development process, mentoring the team and managing design compliance throughout the engineering development lifecycle.
- Lead the Mechanical Engineering team in the development of antenna mechanical designs covering functional, thermal, environmental, structural and electrical aspects that meet the needs of Hanwha Phasor’s product and technology requirements.
- Work closely with the Project Engineering Directors, and other team Heads to translate the system level requirements into antenna mechanical requirements.
- Work with Project Managers to develop realisable project plans that will ensure the effective and timely development of antenna mechanical solutions that meet the antenna requirements.
- Guide, support and mentor the members of the Mechanical Engineering team, developing their skills, experience and capabilities in the process.
- Maintain an effective set of mechanical design tools to enable effective design development and analysis
- Track the state-of-the-art and competing antenna mechanical design technologies relevant to Hanwha Phasor’s needs.
- Work with the engineering teams across multiple disciplines to integrate technology requirements into the systems, software, electrical and RF design.
- Review and approve mechanical project work from the team and present to the wider engineering group where required.
- Manage suppliers to deliver subcontracted designs, manufacturing, assembly, analysis and test (in conjunction with the operations team).
- Identify and implement continuous improvements associated with the product development lifecycle. Author and maintain processes as required.
- Recruit new team members when necessary to ensure sufficient resource is available to meet the Companies product and technology development objectives.
- Produce documentation, specifications and reports to an excellent standard to support quality assurance.
- Support the wider technical deliverables required for product development, such as lifecycle management, methods development, peer reviews, procurement support and lab/antenna range testing.
Essential qualifications and skills
- A good first or Upper 2nd Class degree (BEng/MEng) in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work-based qualifications.
- 15+ years in mechanical design for electromechanical products
- 5+ years as an engineering team manager
- Excellent communications skills and able to take responsibility for the mechanical team delivery of projects (to meet quality, cost and timescales).
- Able to “get hands dirty” and learn on areas or skills that might be new.
- Happy being independent in working style and able to go away and solve problems.
- Excellent knowledge of Configuration Control processes and Product Lifecycle Management
- Product development of RF communications electronics.
- Experience of mechanical integration of equipment onto customer vehicles (Land, Marine and Airborne).
- Experience of customer liaison and support of customer demonstrations/installations.
- Mechanical qualification and certification testing to Land, Marine and Airborne standards.
London Technology Centre:
- Based in modern, open-plan offices in the vibrant area of Hatton Garden, with great views of the City of London from several spacious balconies with outdoor seating.
- Excellent transport connections: Farringdon, City Thameslink and Kings Cross St Pancras overground stations within walking distance; Chancery Lane and Farringdon tube stations within a five-minute walk.
- Showers, cycle racks, lockers and a coffee shop on site. Workspace networking and social events throughout the year.
- With the City, Covent Garden and Embankment close by, there's plenty to do at lunchtimes and after work.
- Leather Lane street food market is right on our doorstep, with the usual chains close by.